Wednesday, October 26, 2011

my heart is sick - RIP Marco Simoncelli

A MotoGP international motorcycle racer I watch (Marco Simoncelli), was killed Sunday in Malaysia when he slid over in a turn and two racers following collided with him and his bike (his helmet came off in the process).

Amazingly, I hadn't heard about the incident, and I didn't know about his death until I watched the recorded race last night. The race started as usual after an overview of the field, Marco promoting his new website, poised for a competitive race, starting on the second row. All was going well for Marco just a few laps in, battling for 4th position, when he innocently slid the bike over ever so slowly, yet directly in the racing path, and the horrific collisions ensued. Everyone immediately knew it was bad (especially heart-wrenching was a camera shot of his girlfriend's reaction after the crash, after just having shown her smiling and waving seconds earlier), and there was stunned silence while waiting for news.

They had stopped the race with red flags and now showed other riders sitting in their garages blankly staring. I stared too, at the screen, frozen in dis-belief, eyes wide, open mouth covered with hand. Waiting, hoping. Race Direction eventually posted our worst fears - he had succumbed to his injuries. I immediately began sobbing, still trying to comprehend.

There only 16 riders at this top level and though hugely popular internationally, my 2 friends and I are some of the loyal, but low in numbers, US fans, so they are all like family to us and I guess that is why it is hitting me so hard. He was only 24 and a new rising star in the series -full of talent, good looks and charisma. His riding style was often considered too agressive, but he was adjusting as time passed and his drive and desire to win remained. He had just placed second at the previous race in Australia and was expected to battle for the win in Malaysia.

There is a moving story from his father here upon their return to Italy yesterday:

No comments:

Post a Comment